My blog is a love letter to art, music, fashion, film, photography and just about anything else that tickles my fancy. Inspiration is everything, seek it everywhere.

You can also find my illustrations here at purdylola draws



Thursday 25 March 2010

Surfer Grrrls

The Runaways

Don't you just love a kick-ass girl group? From The Slits and The Raincoats to Bikini kill and Luscious Jackson, there has always been female-centric punk rock to be found on my playlist. A few of my more recent band discoveries share some things in common other than just being super talented rock 'n' roll gals.

Wicked names:
Vivian Girls (Cassie Ramone, Kickball Katy, Frankie Rose)

Dum Dum Girls (Dee Dee, Jules, Bambi)

Best Coast (Bethany Consentino)

Awesome sound:

60s girl-group surf harmonies layered over lo-fi punk guitar fuzz.

'Blissed out buzz-saw', 'Easy Breezy'

Fierce style:

Shorts, tights, mini-dresses, tattoos, hair dye, top knots.


Brooklyn's Vivian Girls


LA's Dum Dum Girls

Dee Dee Dum Dum

This song is seriously stuck in my head. Listen or lose out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...